Your engagement portraits should be a reflection of who you both are individually and as a couple. These are images that will outlast the day you took them and will be shared and seen over and over again. Because of that, I am often asked what our couples should wear to their sessions! I love being able to help you decide on your outfits – send me pictures of what you’re thinking! I have a few quick tips about what to wear for your engagement session so that your images are what you’ve dreamed of!
• Focus on only one of you wearing a pattern at a time, otherwise the images cane become very busy and noisy! For example, if you wear a floral dress, your fiancé should wear a solid shirt. If he wears a checkered shirt, you should wear a solid dress!
• Aim for pastel and light colors – light blues, pinks, yellows, whites. They photograph better than dark colors and help to create the light, airy images I’m known for.
• If you’re able, wear heels! You’re going to feel taller and they help to elongate your legs. If not, wear your favorite shoes that are in good shape!
• Make sure your ring has been cleaned and your nails have been done! We’re going to be getting close ups of your hands and of your ring on it’s own, so make it sparkle!!
• Apply makeup for your session – adding a little more than normal will make sure you don’t look washed out in your images. We do offer makeup and hair in one of our packages. If you’d like a recommendation for a makeup artist, we can definitely pass one along!
• You’re welcome to have 1 or 2 outfits for the session. Plan to be casual in one outfit (casual should still follow the color and pattern suggestions above) and one dressier option. Sometimes couples want to match for their casual outfit and while a cute t-shirt or special shirt is totally cute, your true casual outfit should compliment your fiancé’s – not match. The images are just much more fun that way!
Still not sure what you want to wear? Email me! I seriously love helping my clients pick out the perfect outfits for their sessions! I want you both to feel like you look great and not worry about what you’re wearing once you’re in the session! Just remember to choose outfits you love and that make you both feel great. That’s the most important thing!
Michelle Harris is a professional wedding photographer and nationally sought after wedding industry educator that focuses on creating amazing experiences and relationships with the artistically focused clients and students.
A mother of two gorgeous little girls and married to the man of her dreams, Michelle lives in Fredericksburg, Virginia, but travels the world for her clients and speaking engagements.